Friday, August 1, 2014

Crown Phoenix: The Night Watchmen Express #Review @AlisonDeLuca

About the Book: An underground factory, a terrifying laboratory, and the eerie whistle of the Night Watchman Express… 

Miriam has only her guardians' son for company, and she and Simon dislike each other from the start. But they must find a way to trust each other, or they will end up on the sinister Night Watchman Express. 


Full of danger, suspense, betrayal, and a hint of romance, this steampunk adventure is for readers of all ages. 



My Review:

I'm so excited that I'm getting a chance to review this series. My reviews are actually going up after the promotional period because I jumped on board at the last second, but when I read the description I couldn't resist.  



The first thing I that grabbed me when I started reading The Night Watchmen Express was the main character.  Miriam is one of those bratty, determined characters you just have to love. She reminds me a lot of Mary from The Secret Garden. The story starts with Miriam being orphaned and waiting for her new guardians to arrive. She is already dreading meeting them, since they're not actual family. Virgil is her deceased father's business partner.  When they finally do arrive, you see that she had every right to dread them.


The wife, Theodosia, is absolutely unbearable. Virgil himself is a simpering drunk. Her house and her life threaten to be completely taken over by these people. 

I could keep going on, but I want you to actually read the book. In short, the characters are well written and presented in such a way that you develop an emotional tie to them.

The story is well paced, mixing the mystery and intrigue with the character development. The writing style is easy to follow and gives the book good flow. You will find the occasional typo though. 

The content is appropriate for a YA audience. Nothing sexual, no graffic violence and only sparse, mild swearing. Mostly the occasional "bloody hell". 

I greatly enjoyed the read and would certainly recommend it for fans of the genre.



About the Author:
Image of Alison DeLuca

Alison DeLuca is a writer of urban fantasy for young adults. She was born in Arizona and has also lived in Pennsylvania, Illinois, Mexico, Ireland, and Spain. As a teacher she taught every grade level in every kind of school district possible.

She currently lives in New Jersey with her husband and daughter.

TWITTER: @ALISONDELUCA

GOODREADS

BLOG



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...